Wingate Scholarships are awarded to outstanding individuals who need financial support to undertake pioneering or original work of intellectual, scientific, artistic, social or environmental value, and to exceptionally brilliant musicians for advanced training.
These scholarships facilitate with the costs of a definite plan which may last up to 3 years. The normal total award is about £6,500 and the highest in any one year is £10,000.
There is no upper age limit and the Scholarship Committee receives applications from mature candidates and those from non-traditional academic backgrounds. Wingate Scholarships attempts to provide funding for cross-disciplinary projects that might not fall comfortably into any of the conventional funding categories.
Previous recipients of Wingate Scholarships are not eligible to apply.
APPLICANTS (for 2010/2011) MUST BE:
• living in the British Isles at the time of application
• capable to assure the Scholarship Committee that they need financial support
• able to show why the project is unlikely to attract Research Council, British Academy or major agency funding
• citizens of the United Kingdom or Commonwealth country, former Commonwealth country, Ireland or Israel
• or citizens of another EU country (provided that they have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least 3 years on September 1 2009)
• aged 24 or over on September 1 2010 (there is no upper age limit)
Applications from abroad are not accepted.